Capuchin Community Services announces additional changes to meal program
Posted Tuesday, March 17, 2020 7:15 pm CT, updated Wednesday, March 18, 2020 12:54 pm CT
Based on guidelines from federal, state and local officials, effective immediately, Capuchin Community Services announces the following changes:
- With the help of our Meal Sponsor partners, and through staff efforts we plan to continue serving the meal at our Saint Ben's site. Staff and friars will serve the meal.
- We will be switching to a take-away only hot meal service at the Saint Ben's site. The Meal Hall will be closed until further notice.
- At the House of Peace and at the Saint Ben's sites, we regret to announce that we are suspending volunteer service at this time.
We ask for your prayers and the intercession of Blessed Solanus Casey.
Posted Monday, March 16, 2020 4:31 pm ET
Capuchin Community Services plans to continue serving Milwaukeeans who are struggling through difficult times. Based on conversations and guidance from public health officials and community partners, we are implementing the following changes at Saint Ben’s Community Meal and the House of Peace to take effect immediately in order to do our part to slow the spread of the Coronavirus.
At Saint Ben’s
- We are suspending the shower program
- Everyone who arrives for a shower will be given a shirt, socks, and underwear
- We are limiting laundry services to insure there is sufficient safe distances in our facility
- In order to maintain safe distances, we have changed seating in the Meal Hall
- This will likely result in longer waits and a shorter time for each guest to have dinner
- We are obliged to ask guests to wait outside for the foreseeable future
- We will continue to offer drug prescription co-pays every day; on Wednesdays we will continue to offer bus tickets for medical appointments, as well as hygiene kits
- These will be provided in the foyer of 930 W State Street
- The ID/birth certificate program is under review
- The eyeglasses program will be suspended
At the House of Peace
- The Clothing Closet ministry will be suspended
- No new donations will be accepted
- No new appointments will be accepted
- Access to the Emergency Food Pantry will be on a person-by-person basis, which may result in wait times
- We regret this, but it is necessary to maintain the building safely for all
- The UW-M Community Health clinic and the Marquette Legal Clinic have suspended operations
- The eyeglasses ministry has been suspended
- The On the Wing art program has been suspended
- The Bible Study ministry has been suspended
These changes will have significant impacts on our guests. We ask for your continued support and prayer. With confidence in God, we pray that this outbreak will be brought under control.
For more information, contact Capuchin Community Services at (414) 933-1300